As many of you, I find myself with more time on my hand on weekends during the Covid-19 pandemic. After spending the first few weeks getting settled into a new routine, I am now getting back to a more healthy routine, because no one wants to add the ‘quarantine 15’!
My new weekly quest is to use ingredients that I have in my food pantry and see if I can whip up a healthy meal or a healthy snack.
This I week I decided to play kitchen with almonds. I usually use cashews and peanut butter for all of my healthy snacks, but wanted to change it up. So, I decided to experiment with flavoring and I wanted to get a smoky flavor.
Smoky Baked Almonds
I also like my snacks both spicy and sweet, so I wanted to see if I can successfully create this flavor. First things first.
What you need to create smoky baked almonds
- 3 cups of raw almonds
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it more spicy)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or more if you like it sweeter)
How do you prepare smoky baked almonds
- mix all ingredients in a bowl
- let everything sit and soak for about an hour
- pre-heat oven to 275 F
- line a baking tray with parchment paper
- spread almonds in a single layer on baking tray
- bake for 30 minutes at 275 F
- take out and let cool for at least 30 minutes
And there you have a healthy snack.
Check out my other healthy snack recipes:
Nutella & Peanut Butter Energy Balls